SHEARING BOARD, ROSELEA SHED
The ‘shearing board’ in the Roselea Shed, one of the two historic wool sheds we moved to Masterton. It is one of New Zealand’s significant historical structures. Dating from the 1880s, it may be our last-surviving pioneer work building constructed entirely from hand-adzed totara logs. The timber came from forest cleared on the farm to create pasture.
The shed is largely in original condition, though insulation has been added in the ceiling and on the walls. Naturally, we insulated with wool!
The two-stand Wolseley shearing machine came with the shed. It is belt-driven from a 1935 Lister engine on the right, below the photo. The machinery is still working and is used regularly for shearing demonstrations. In most modern sheds the overhead driving mechanism has been replaced by individual electric motors powering each shearing stand.