THE WOOL SHED
The Wool Shed museum opened in 2005, in downtown Masterton, New Zealand. It was housed in two old wool sheds trucked from local farms and joined together.
The larger Glendonald shed, which opens onto Dixon Street, was originally an eight-stand blade shearing shed, built in 1902 from rimu, matai and totara.
Behind it is the Roselea shed, one of New Zealand’s significant historical structures. It may be the nation’s last surviving pioneer building constructed entirely from hand-adzed totara logs. The logs came from forest cleared on the farm.
Leading off the Wilton shed is the custom-built Stewart-Weston Gallery, which opened in 2018.
Most of the joinery throughout the museum uses old native timbers recycled from Wairarapa farms.